« Home | Quality of Education » | Lesson 4: don't judge a book by its cover. » | My first Carolina Complaint » | I love you Mom » | from Ca to WY to SC to SA nity » | Pre-Mothers Day » | So the whole idea of this blog is to keep a record... »

My Hero's have always been Cowboys

Today we have spent a lot of time talking about heroes. Memorial Day has always been a day that Tim and I have tried to take the time to think about the sacrifices others have given for us.

In the past I visit the graves and have my conversation with Aunt Audrey, stop by Uncle Frosty, Aunt Ione and then more recently Matthew Sheppard. Out here there are cemeteries everywhere. They are so precious. Preciously created for the dear loved ones that are there. Last week we went by one on our drive about that had one huge oak tree in the center. Every headstone was under the canopy of that tree all crowded around soaking up the shade. Tim said, " Dont you know that every Mama there had said their loved ones, I jest wont to be burried under that ol tray.? And it looks as though those last wishes came true.

So today we try to define what a "Hero" is. I was wondering why it is I have so many, and Tim was wondering why he had so few. I think I have more problems with the difference between the words admire and heroism, and I admire so many people and feel so many people should be seen as heroes. Tim said he feels the reason he has so few is because his definition is so narrow that few people could live up to it.

So I have decided to tell you another story about someone elses hero. ----
When I taught at DM, one of the assignments for the students was to write a 5 paragraph, 7 sentences per paragraph, report on their hero. One of my favorite 8th grade students chose Mark Martin the NASCAR driver. In Garrett's rough draft he was having a terrible time writing enough sentences to create a paragraph.
"My hero is Mark Martin. He drive the number 6 car. I have always thought he was cool. He is a great driver. I hope he wins this year. END OF REPORT.
Knowing this wouldnt do, we were to help each student with the editing. So I ask When did you first see Mark Martin.? He said," when I watch racing with my dad. " I said that is cool. Do you like him because he drives Ford? " Yeah, and because my dad likes him. " I said, does your dad race stock cars or anything? "No he is a great mechanic and can fix anything but we cant afford a car. My dad is going to get one though when I get older and I will drive and my dad can be the mechanic." I said, Well why dont you write about that in your paper. Is that what Mark Martin did? I am still digging information out trying to figure out why this kid likes Martin. Finally after playing 36 questions that end with Yep. I say do you know any interesting facts about Mark Martin. He says yeah, one. Ok what is it. He looks at me and says Did you know Mark Martin was a terrible alcoholic and he is in recovery. He doesnt do it at all anymore. Thats why he is my hero. WOW thats the key. OK now we have something. So I say, ok lets work with that.

Heres a bit of background on Garrett. Great kid, will work hard as long as he is in front of you. No homework will ever get done or taken home. Great leader among peers. Defender of the weakest kids, hero to the shy ones. Player with the girls, started gellling his hair in 9th grade, the first time a girl blinked her eyelashes at him. Constantly tardy, often dirty and always always wears the same shirt, pants and shoes. Sometimes battered and bruised always easily explained to falling down out fishing. He carries a rage and temper that I have pushed twice. Each time requiring me to ask," Can you make it to the office or do I you need help." That means a call to security because I cannot safely turn my back on him. He makes it to the office and lockers are repairable. He also has a smile that would steal the hearts of thousands, Outstanding fisherman, lives in Paradise Valley close enough to fish the river as often as he can.
Garrett has younger siblings, I am not sure how many- I know of one sister he has mentioned.

Garrett gets home from school and has chores. Grandma lives a few blocks away. When he gets chores done, he can go down to Grandmas. He has a younger sister and he takes care of her after school. She has chores too which she seldom does. She is 8, a real pain. Garrett's day evolves around a phone call or a message on the table--whether or if dad is coming home. IF dad is coming home, and there is a list of chores they better get done or there will be hell to pay. If dad calls and is stopping by the Beacon before he comes home, Garrett kicks it into high gear and does chores and takes Sissy down to Grandma's before dad gets home. If Sissy wont comply and Dad comes drunk, and things arent just so....HELL TO PAY. Garrett has taken many a slug for Sissy. Garrett cant wait to get big enough to take Dad... someday. It burns inside of him. Garrett knows dad is dangerous but Dad feel so bad, and so there is always a nice gift. One time it was a crate with a motorcycle engine and fenders, that dad won at the Beacon in a bet. "We are going to fix that bike up for you Garrett, " Maybe you can race Motocross." Always with hope and always with the best intentions. Garrett attends counseling in every form available that the school can provide, and in counseling he learned that Dad can "recover." He doesnt have to drink. And Garrett believes that if Dad just has a hero, someone like Mark Martin who has already been through it, he can do it too. Garrett is sure that if Mark Martin can do it Dad can too. Dad is already a hero to Garrett, the tragedy is that Dad knows it and cannot help the disease he has. Garrett is sure Dad needs a hero, so he picked Mark Martin because Garrett thinks Mark and Dad are so much alike. Great men, great mechanics and just one little problem.
For his determined hope, Garrett is my hero. I hate his Dad. I hate that I have to watch this child live the double life of a alcoholic's child. He story isnt unusual, the statics of alcoholism are beyond our reach. But Garrett still believes that he has the answer. He knows what this problem needs. Garrett is a care giver and a problem solver. He carries the weight of it every day on his shoulders, and some days its so heavy, he just needs someone to ask, Can you make it by yourself or do you need help? He has a hero, and is just waiting for that hero to help.
So if you ever watch Nascar, and you see Mark Martin look closely at the wrinkles in his face, and the gray in his hair. He is more than a man who turns left for 5 hours every Sunday. He is one young mans only hope.