« Home | So the whole idea of this blog is to keep a record... »

Pre-Mothers Day

Next weekend is Mothers Day. A day set aside to recognize Mom's and all they do. We are going to do that. Mothers are an interesting breed. We really do try to be all you expect us to be. But there are times we cant. And when that happens its one of the worst feelings in the world as well as very humiliating.
So to combat that horrible feeling, I decided to be this kind of mom. I wanted the kids to know everything about me. How afraid of the dark I was, I cant swim, I dont see well, I cant cook dinner but I make the best cinnamon rolls ever and I have ALOT of gastrointestinal problems. I am not suppose to around Kris after drinking 8 glasses of water a day
and Elizabeth has spent many a tender moment trying to talk me through the deep end. I wanted my kids to understand that life threatening decisions, such as the need I had to put a bullet in Steve Prentice because that s the only cure I understand to spousal abuse, as well as standing next to Tim when he faces scary medical news ---are all part of life and me. I cant be fake and act like the mature Mom I should, I lean on them. I need them to help me make sense of the world. I am lucky to have kids that I hope see me as wierd/normal and just a lady getting a little wrinkled, whose opinions are usually based on moral codes that only she understands. I am lucky to have two very different people who love me, and think I am ok because they have both picked my head up off the bathroom floor as well as sat next to me at a Rockies game. So before we get into the mushy mothers day things that I will tell you next weekend about my mom and Tim will tell you about his, I realized this week there are two special events that remind me very much of my children and why I am lucky to be their mother.

For those of you that know K and E, either both or one, something you would immediately know about them is their passion for Music. Now K will go for months without a peep of Tool news, or a Deftones update, but it is always on his mind. E rarely lets a day pass without the mention of a U2 lyric, or a Tori update. For those of you that are close to them I would imagine this gets really tiresome, but for me its just amazing. You see all their musical taste came from their father. He is the one that nudged, gently turned up, or loudly belted it out when they were young. We have one rule about music, none of it is bad. There is always something that can be found in any music. Tim and I consciencely sat down and decided that we would never discourage any music or music instrument that the kids wanted to try. We would give it all a try.
Tim is a complete album guy, I am a totally cheesy top 40 including all the CW hits you can stand person. I make up the words I cannnot understand to any song I am singing. WHich as the kids will tell you is always off key.

So this week, Tool will be in Denver on Wednesday May 10. It will be one of the most amazing nights for K. since Shannon was born. It isnt just a band playing a concert, its a much deeper and amazing connection. and I feel the same way. A few years back, I almost lost Kris in an immature standoff of sorts that required me to re evaluate what kind of a person I am and what kind of person was. IT was a Face off moment for me while I watched, actually pushed K right off the edge of my life. I alllllll most lost him. When I finally decided that I couldnt take another minute of it, I decided to have a battle of wits ( come to Jesus) meeting with him via the internet chat system. So this confrontation started off kind of nice, I asked what was he doing. He said listening to Tool. I saud I have never heard of them, is it something you think I would like. He said NOT particularly. I swear to you at that moment, I just snapped. I thought--You know when people cannot speak they sing. What they cannot say the listen for in music. SO I said,
WHY DONT you TRY ME. Please send me some thing. ( also be cause I am such a tight ass I wouldnt go buy an album.) So he did. Tim and I were coming home from a drive about trip we had taken a few days later and I said . Do you want to listen to something Rusty is into? He of course said sure. I can tell you the first song was called the Pieces FIT and I am telling you I was immediately addicted. IT was amazing. DUMB word to use because I have yet to find a word to describe this sound. I love it and loved it and I immediately called K. and I told him. And he thought i was faking and I said no but I have to know everything you can tell me about Danny Carey. "Not in the 40 year old I have the hots for him. "I just want to know where did he learn to play an instrument like that. THERE IS NO ONE ON THE THIS PLANET BORN YET as talented as he is. I am sorry. what you think about your favorite person, but I am telling you NO ONE can touch this guy. The group undescribable in the complete sound. Danny doesnt make the band alone. I then took the time to read the lyrics as Kris so patiently sent them too me time and time again. In the words were many MOM messages, about pain and hurt. I could hear my son crying. So I will tell you, it opened a door for K and I to walk through. A new door that we could let the old bs go and be someone new and start fresh. TOOL did it.
U2 was my idea. I am responsible for pushing play. I wanted Elizabeth to listen to music for something besides lyrics, which is what I thought she was getting from Tori. So one day up on Ridge crest I popped in Streets have no name. She really heard it. Now E has had more musical training than anyone in the family besides Great Grandpa Dave who played fiddle on Saturday nights. She has an ear, she can sing on key anytime and could at the age of 4. So musically she is my go to gal. U2 has added personal depth to her life that cannot be compromised. But Tim is the one that told her all about Red Rocks and Sunday Bloody Sunday. He told her the why behind all their songs. That year was a nasty year for her, but the Lads came out with a new album in October. That album was the only voice she had for two years. She could say more with the songs from that album and she was actually listening to their old ones too, she could finally be heard. I felt like she was speaking in a language I could understand. Which has not been the case with Tori. This week Is BONO's Birthday. Its not a national holiday or an international one, but it should be. His talent cannot be matched. Sorry there is just no one who can make you feel pain, happiness, hurt and pure love like those words and his voice. Elizabeth will be celebrating as if it were her own.
I do need to say that I am proud to have attended a Tool concert with K and family, but I am most ashamed of myself, that I had the opportunity to attend a U2 concert with E and I chose work over her, I will always regret that decision.

These two bands cannot be compared anymore than these two children can. But please if you learn one lesson from this epistle. please let it be this: When you cannot find a way to reach your child, Open their CD case, or drive their car, and listen. DONT Listen throughYOUR heart, listen through theirs. They are telling you or world something that they cannot say. It isnt always bad, please dont get me wrong. Music is the key to understanding life. and its true for everyone. If you really care about someone you will know what music they like and why. Happy Mothers Day, I am the luckiest mom on the planetbecause both of my kids know the lyrics to Tom Petty Free falling, What do you get a Wookie for Christmas When He Already Has a Comb and of course John Denvers Alfie the Christmas tree.

Quote: Its in every one of us to be wise, find your heart and open up both your eyes. We can all know everything without even knowing why. Its in everyone of us by and by.